The Social Dilemma is a 2020 documentary by Netflix.
8 out of 10 stars. This will shock you and it’s completely true. If you’re using Google, Bing, FaceBook, Twitter, or YouTube, you’ll stop after watching this.
This film was put together by a group of high level computer science engineers and marketing directors who used to work for the big companies: Google, Microsoft, FaceBook, Twitter, and YouTube. What they say will shock you. As one of them put it, “If you’re not paying for the product, you ARE the product.”
Here are the most important takeaways from this documentary:
- When you enter a search term into Google, Google uses your data to feed you results which are specific to you. This is regardless of whether or not you are signed into a Google client or gmail or if you are using private mode. You are still being tracked. Your clicks, searches, jobs, age, likes, dislikes, food purchases, toiletry purchases, other purchases, and every other thing about you is being collected, collated, and used by Google and other companies who are Google partners in addition to all of the big social media players. That’s terrifying. If you think those idiots in Texas are Googling “climate change” and getting the same scientific papers you are, you’re wrong. They’re getting sent by Google to specific sites that call climate change a hoax. That’s in their design and it’s propaganda. Google has weaponized our data and uses it against us.
- All of their models are built on addiction. They send you to the link that will keep you searching longer and inevitably get you to buy and buy more.
- The more you engage, the more advertisers pay Google and the more they earn.
- Google’s business model is based on surveillance capitalism.
- Human futures sales produce trillions of dollars in sales each year.
- They build models that predict our futures. These predictions are sold to companies who then determine if you will get that job, that raise, or be fired. And you’ll never know it.
- They intentionally tag photos with your name as a teaser to get you to click on their links, go to their sites, and make them money. This is called clickbait.
- They are creating models of massive scale contagion behavior to simulate what we will do next. Then they use these models to stimulate us into behaving a certain way that makes them money or makes you vote a certain way.
- A tool sits there waiting for you to use it. Social media is based on addiction and manipulates you into behaviors that make them money which includes enticing you to buy things you don’t want or need and voting a way that is contrary to your beliefs.
- Since social media became prominent, there has been a 189% increase in cutters for preteen girls and a 151% increase in suicide for preteen girls. They’re killing our young women.
- Since social media became prominent, our brains have not increased in size for the first time in history. Instead, we’re using less of our brains.
- In Myanmar, phones come preloaded with FaceBook and most people there access their email, photos, everything through FaceBook. They are never told they can shut it off and delete it. The government used this to send hate speech to users and incited violence against Muslims.
- Prediction models show that our current addiction to social media and Google will results in a massive civil war in 10 years. In 20 years, we’ll be too stupid to deal with the global crises like climate change.
- ALL OF YOUR ACTIONS on your phone are tracked by Google who owns the operating system that your android phone operates on. You can’t turn it off.
What can you do?
- Use duckduckgo as your search engine.
- Delete FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google, and Bing from your computers. Delete your accounts.
- Ask your politicians to make corporations illegal and to jail CEO’s of corporations when they commit crimes like polluting water with hazardous waste.
- Turn off all notifications on your phone. Those are ads not news.
- NEVER watch YouTube recommended ads. YouTube is part of Google and records everything you ever view.
- Install a VPN, virtual private network. There are several that provide a layer of protection between you and the internet.
8 out of 10 stars. Why did I dock 2 stars? Because all of the men in this film are white men who did despicable things and were rewarded for it. Who did they hurt the most? Young women. Asshats.